Version 2.5.0 of the Akismet plugin for WordPress 3 is now available. Check the Plugins tab of your wp-admin dashboard for instructions on how to update automatically, or visit the plugin page for details.
This version requires WordPress 3.0 or higher.
This is the first Akismet release in a long time that includes visible new features (in addition to the usual behind-the-scenes magic of course). You can see them here in our short video:
Major changes since Akismet 2.4 include:
- A comment status history, so you can easily see which comments were caught or cleared by Akismet, and which were spammed or unspammed by a moderator
- Links are highlighted in the comment body, to reveal hidden or misleading links
- If your web host is unable to reach Akismet’s servers, the plugin will automatically retry
- Moderators can see the number of approved comments for each user
- Spam and Unspam reports now include more information, to help improve accuracy
For those of you already using Akismet on your WordPress 3.0 blog, upgrading is quick and easy thanks to the plugin updater. If you haven’t yet tried Akismet, visit the Plugins tab to enable it, and get your API key here – it’s free for personal use.
If you’re still using WordPress 2.9 or earlier, please stick with Akismet 2.4, our legacy branch for old WordPress versions. Or upgrade to the soon-to-be-released WordPress 3.1, which has Akismet 2.5 built in.